Monday, September 7, 2015

REVIEW: Walking Disaster



Title: Walking Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire 
Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Number of Pages: 448

Synopsis from Amazon:

Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster.

Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.

My Review:

Alright! I didn't know it was possible to ever love the male's point of view over the females, but this was so much better than Beautiful Disaster. And yes, this is the first time that I have read this one....and it was well worth the wait. When you read a second point of view of the same story you might be hesitant on reading it again because you already know what happened. I am so glad that I didn't let this opinion get to me because you receive so much more when you read both sides of this story, and the epilogue is AMAZING.

While I felt like some things were added to Walking Disaster that were not in Beautiful Disaster, just small conversations that didn't take place within Abby's POV, I felt like I was reading an entirely different story. Travis was fighting his feelings in the beginning just as much as Abby, but when he let those words leave his mouth things just became even more beautiful than I could have read in Beautiful Disaster.  

I really enjoyed seeing Travis fall in love with Abby instead of pushing her feelings inside instead of telling everyone how she felt from the very beginning. I enjoyed seeing the interactions between Travis and Shepley, as well as those interactions we didn't have the opportunity to know about in Beautiful Disaster. I wish we all could have a love like Travis and Abby, even if we had to deal with all the crap they had to encounter. 

My rating for this is 5 stars. Any romance that can make me tear up and go through multiple emotions within a few chapters deserves much more than a 5 star rating but I don't know how one could ever repay an author for the pleasure they have given their readers other than a positive review to share with their friends and family. So here it is: You must read Walking Disaster, it will change your world. 

On another note, did anyone else figure out what the covers of the book meant within the story? Sometimes I can put something together, but I'm completely missing the butterfly. 

Favorite quote from Walking Disaster: 

Abby touched her palm to my cheek.
"You know what, Mr. Maddox?"
"What, baby?"
Her expression turned serious. "In another life, I could love you."
I watched her for a moment, staring into her glassed-over eyes. She was drunk, but just for a moment it didn't seem wrong to pretend that she meant it.
"I might love you in this one."
She tilted her head, and pressed her lips against the corner of my mouth. 


Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walking-disaster-jamie-mcguire/1112433119?ean=9781476712987

About Jamie McGuire 



Jamie McGuire was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She attended Northern Oklahoma College, the University of Central Oklahoma, and Autry Technology Center where she graduated with a degree in Radiography. Jamie paved the way for the new Adult genre with the international bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Her follow-up novel, Walking Disaster, debuted at #1 on the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street journal bestseller lists. Beautiful Oblivion, book one of the Maddox Brothers series, also topped the New York Times bestseller list, debuting at #1. In 2015, books two and three of the Maddox Brothers series, Beautiful Redemption and Beautiful Sacrifice, respectively, also topped the New York Times. 
Novels also written by Jamie McGuire include: apocalyptic thriller and 2014 UtopYA Best Dystopian Book of the Year. Red Hill: the Providence series, a young adult paranormal romance triology: Apolonia, a dark sci-fi romance: and several novellas, including A Beautiful Wedding, Among Monters, Happenstance: A Novella Series, and Sins of the Innocent. Jamie lives in Steamboat Springs, Colorado with her husband, Jeff, and their three children. 

Find Jamie at www.jamiemcguire.com or on Facebook, Twitter, Tsu, and Instagram. 

No comments:

Post a Comment